At the annual Voyager Media Awards held on Friday 11 May, Stuff took out top honours in 16 categories including Website of the Year.
It was a big night for journalists, photographers and media people across the country as they congregated to celebrate the best of the best in the industry at the Cordis Hotel in Auckland.
“I’m thrilled to see Stuff being named the Website of the Year,” says Editorial Director Mark Stevens.
“It goes to show the hard work our journalists put into making Stuff the best possible news source for Kiwis is not going unnoticed.”
As well as Website of the Year (which was a joint win with Newsroom.co.nz), Stuff mastheads the Waikato Times and The Press both received the accolade of Newspaper of the Year for their respective circulation categories.
Sharon Murdoch, who produces cartoons for The Press and other Stuff mastheads, was named Cartoonist of the Year yet again, following wins in the category at the 2016 and 2017 awards.
“Sharon is a remarkable cartoonist. She makes such an amazing contribution to our journalism and is an expert in her craft,” says Stevens.
Stuff received five wins in the photography and videography categories, including Photographer of the Year for Iain McGregor.
In the journalism and reporting categories, Stuff received seven wins, including the award for Best Team Investigation, which went to the Stuff Circuit team – made up of Paula Penfold, Toby Longbottom, Eugene Bingham and Phil Johnson – for their groundbreaking investigation, The Valley.
“The Valley was the biggest project our Stuff Circuit team had undertaken. Their determination and dedication to bringing this important story to life, the story of New Zealand’s role in the war in Afghanistan, has been outstanding.”
Previously known as the Canon Media Awards, the Voyager Media Awards showcase and acknowledge outstanding work in the New Zealand media sphere from the past year.
Full list of Stuff winners:
- Website of the Year: Stuff
- Newspaper of the Year (up to 30,000 circulation): Waikato Times
- Newspaper of the Year (more than 30,000 circulation): The Press
- Cartoonist of the Year: Sharon Murdoch
- Photographer of the Year: Iain McGregor
- Best team investigation: The Valley, Stuff Circuit
- Best photography – portrait: Chris Skelton, The Press
- Best photography – news: Joseph Johnson, The Press
- Best photo – junior: Kavinda Herath, The Southland Times
- Best news video: George Heard
- Feature writing (short-form) – crime, justice and/or social issues: Donna-Lee Biddle, Waikato Times
- Opinion writing – general and/or sport: Leah McFall, Sunday Magazine, Sunday Star-Times
- Opinion writing – humour/satire: Dave Armstrong, The Dominion Post
- Reporter – health, education and/or general: Tony Wall
- Best Reporter – junior: Nina Hindmarsh, The Nelson Mail
- Student Journalist of the Year: Ruby Nyika, Waikato Times