Toyota’s RAV4 has beaten some of the world’s most expensive cars to be named ‘Top Car 2019’ in the Stuff Top Cars Awards. The full list of Top Cars across 20 categories has been revealed today.
Now in its fourth year, Stuff Top Cars celebrates the best cars, utes and vans test-driven in the past 12 months. Hundreds of vehicles were put through their paces by some of the country’s most respected motoring writers – David Linklater, Damien O’Carroll, Richard Bosselman and Rob Maetzig.
Judges were impressed by the Toyota RAV4’s all-round excellence. One of New Zealand’s top-selling cars and winner of the ‘Top Medium SUV’ category, it’s also one of the most affordable on the list and combines hybrid technology to save around 30% in fuel as well as being better for the environment.
The Aston Martin Vantage was named ‘Sexiest Car’ of 2019, with judges praising its distinctiveness, striking look and ‘cool’ factor. The ever-popular Mazda MX-5 took out the sports car category and the BMW Z4 won best convertible. Skoda’s Scala scooped ‘Top Small Car’, while the Peugeot 508 GT topped both the station wagon and family car categories.
Linklater, Channel Director of Stuff Motoring, said it was pleasing to see a ‘mainstream’ car named Stuff Top Car this year. “It’s natural for the expensive or exotic cars to rise to the top, so it’s really great that this year’s winner is both a practical and affordable choice.”
He also noted the number of other electric and electrified vehicles among this year’s winners. “Of the categories in Top Cars, six winners are powered by high-voltage electricity in some form which shows how much the automotive industry is investing in this technology.” he said.
A 40-page Top Cars magazine is included free today with copies of Stuff’s metro and regional newspapers, including the Waikato Times, Dominion Post, The Press, Nelson Mail, Manawatū Standard, Southland Times, Taranaki Daily News and Timaru Herald, as well as the Sunday Star-Times (24 November issue). It includes the most interesting motoring moments in New Zealand and around the world – and a look at what’s to come.
See full list of the 2019 Stuff Top Cars below:
- Top Executive Car: Tesla Model 3* (from $75,900)
- Top Performance Car: Renault Megane RS (from $59,990)
- Top Ute: Mitsubishi Triton (form $31,99)
- Top Family Car: Peugeot 508 GT (from $55,990)
- Top Station Wagon: Peugeot 508 GT (from $55,990)
- Top Coupe: Ford Mustang Bullitt (from $93,490)
- Top EV: Jaguar I-Pace* (from $144,900)
- Top Luxury SUV: Audi e-tron* (from $148,500)
- Top Interior: Audi e-tron* (from $148,500)
- Top Small Car: Skoda Scala (from $29,990)
- Top Premium SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLE (from $128,200)
- Top Sports Car: Mazda MX-5 (from $41,895)
- Top Van: Volkswagen Crafter (from $65,000)
- Top Convertible: BMW Z4 (from $133,800)
- Top Luxury Car: Porsche Panamer*a (from $210,500)
- Top Compact SUV: Lexus UX* (from $59,900)
- Top Large SUV: Seat Tarraco (from $47,900)
- Sexiest Car: Aston Martin Vantage (from $249,000)
- Top Performance SUV: Jaguar F-Pace SVR (from $157,900)
- Top Car 2019: Toyota RAV4* (also ‘Top Medium SUV’, from $34,990)
For additional information on the 2019 Stuff Top Cars including video content visit www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/top-cars.
* Indicates electric or electrified vehicles.
For further information:
021 801 790